The art of matress testing

A tough job, but someone's got to do it

Friday, April 28, 2006

Long Flight

I strategically deprived myself of sleep the night before, playing GuildWars so that I can sleep on the plane and get a head start on the jet lag.

I got a window seat and went to sleep right away before the safety videos.
An hour later something woke me up and we are not even in the air yet, I thought it was a pretty lame bad dream. But apparently they had a problem starting an engine and spent the whole hour fixing it. I was suddenly overcame with a sense of dread, like I really shouldn't be on this plane, I really should not leave Toronto for so long, it's a bad idea.

The engineers have just fixed the engine and cleared the aircraft to fly the next 16 hours to Hong Kong.

Sweet, this is a direct flight from Toronto to Hong Kong with no stops, so if we had to land somewhere around the north pole, I'd be pissed.

Anyway, this flight path gave me a good view of northern Ontario, and perhaps some of NWT. There are lakes everywhere, roads weaving in and out of communities, I just kept thinking that it's really spread out and I don't want to live there. After an hour or so of staring at the ground, it became very bright outside and I had to close the window shade. Probably clouds, or ice.

The lady who sat next to me is a healthcare worker from Waterloo, she's going back to the Philipinnes for a month. She brought up the usual immigrant story, used to be a professional, credentials mean nothing over here, no money to study and get recertified. She said she didn't want to go back to school anyway, and being an RN really isn't worth the trouble.

Drifts back to sleep, interrupted by airline port, airline instant noodle, airline smoked salmon salad and airline beef. Peeked outside, still bright with whiteness.

Watched the end of Pride and Prejudice, life is good if you are in an aristocratic family. Nice houses, servants, wicked line dance parties with Keira Knightley.

Sitting on a chair for 16 hours sounds like a relaxing activity, but it's not, my ass hurts. I was however, served by the 2 prettiest Air Canada attendents I have seen, not the usual grumpy old francaphone guys. This time it's a young Chinese girl with braces and a lush lipped Angelina look-a-like. Sorry guys, no pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home