The art of matress testing

A tough job, but someone's got to do it

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Dressing up

I dressed like the salariman yesterday to meet with Dad for dinner. Tie and everything.

I blended in much better into Central's population, Mom saying that I looked more liked a civilized human.

I haven't worked for a month shy a day now, I feel like an outsider, not involved in this world. Though I tried to work on job seeking and updating my resume, I have been having trouble doing anything related to that.

I subconsciously avoid job websites, my resume file on my desktop, business books, business news, articles about the job boom, video and articles about how great it is to work somewhere (google, damn google).
It's weird, it's the right time to start because I'll be back in Canada in a month. But I felt a gag sensation when I opened any of those files/sites.

It's not that I hate working, I love working - I look forward to my next job, but something in me resents people who are happily working at impossibly good opportunities. (Mom: Working should not be fun, it's WORK!) (Buddha: Life is suffering)

Before I left I thought I wouldn't mind finding a job with Dad, but I just couldn't ask. Dad just mentioned that some executive's son is now working in the company for HKD$20,000 per month (pretty good considering the 15% tax rate, but an appartment costs 12k/month to rent). That guy's father deferred the salary negotiation to Dad instead, and Dad turned him down for any more increases. I just have visions of the very short salary negotiation with Dad, that's probably why I couldn't ask him for a job.

"Father... " "No! whatever it is"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home