The art of matress testing

A tough job, but someone's got to do it

Friday, September 23, 2005

Multiculturalism

Here in Sydney, in fact even Brisbane I see lots of different people - lots of Asians, some middle eastern. Although perhaps a lot of them are tourists like me probably. The paper says that the Australians are trying to recover from a slump in the number Japanese tourists. Something like 68,000 Japanese visits Australia every year, and 38,000 Americans - I wonder if it includes Canada.

I also read on the newspaper that 45% of the people here (Sydney) are immigrants or children of new immigrants. Making Australia the country with the most percentage of immigrants, followed by Canada. I was in the cityrail when I saw all these kids just running around hanging out. I guess in the next generation racism will be a completely foreign concept to cities like Toronto and Sydney, they will be as obsolete as gas lamps.

Sydney like Toronto also has a huge Chinese population, there are areas in Sydney that reminds me of Scarborough in T.O. where you would almost think that the white people are the minority here. But the Chinese here are different, subtly...
They call Dim Sum, Yum Cha - for those of you who don't know, Dim Sum is the noun, while Yum Cha is the verb of the same activity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home