The art of matress testing

A tough job, but someone's got to do it

Tuesday, September 20, 2005


It was scariest pants shitting experience.

The jump master with the camera asked me how it felt, I was speechless.

They have really industrialized this tandem diving thing, at 1:30 we were picked up by a van, an hour later I was falling out of a plane flying at 200 km/h spooning with another man.
I thought I was going to die attached to Bart's pelvis, not the perfect way to go, parents would not have been proud - especially when they'll probably have trouble separating our tissues..

Let's think about something more positive: the plane ride up there was amazing, if there's a place you want to jump, it's here on the Gold Coast of Australia, the view was fantastic. Miles and miles of perfect beach stretching north and south, the turquois ocean, channel snaking through the city.

When they opened the flimsy plastic door, I was shitting my pants. Good thing I brought a change of underwear and shorts. Barb went first, it was not a great feeling seeing her leave the moving plane, not more than 10 seconds later, I was out of the plane too. Free falling is a very unnatural feeling, I entered into shock for the first feel seconds then came out of it when we probably reached terminal velocity. The wind was rushing by so fast, it was like sticking your head out the window of your car at 170km/h. Not that I tried it or anything, but I don't recommend it, but if you were going to do it per se, don't do it on country roads where there are lots of bugs.

When the chute opens, it was a gentler deceleration than I expected, probably because we're doing tandem diving. I finally have a chance to appreciate the scenary around me, because I was focusing on the airport below thinking about how fast we're going to get there. Bart showed off a couple of tricks, doing some spiral rolls, some rapid high G turns, my harness was hurting me. I can spot Barb's blue canopy, below, and Tobin the English accountant-turn-policeman was not far behind us. He was also speechless after we land.

Then came the second unnatural feeling: Bart released the shoulder clip, so he can probably control the parachute - but after he released the clip, my position is lowered a bit - I thought I was going to detach and fall.. good thing there are more than a few clips connecting me to Bart and then the parachute.

The planned landing was to bum ski to a stop, but last minute Bart asked me to stand up, so we did a running landing instead. It hurt a bit to land, but that's because I didn't relax my legs and feet enough.

While they were processing our video, we headed out to see the Brown sisters land (Toronto girls who work at flight center). Then Luke the English student landed, he was still in shock...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home